Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Don't Be A Digital Social Liability


DON'T BE A 'SOCIAL LIABILITY!’



Last night my aunt sent me a message on FaceBook it went like this:


“I can't comment or do anything on your Facebook page. If you did this on purpose, that sucks and please fix it or just defriend me. If it was an accident, can you please put it back the way it was?”


I am not going to go into any specifics or family dynamics or analyze why a family member would send this - But I am going to explain WHY my aunt currently does not have access to my profile.


She is a Social Liability.


One is considered a “Social Liability” when they are fun to hang around on a one-to-one basis but never in a social or group setting. Some Social Liabilities ask too many questions, some have no idea how to handle their alcohol, and some just are better with ‘things’ than they are with people – either way, these individuals have a time and place in your life (and unfortunately it rarely exists when other company is present).


With FaceBook – Comes Evolution - The 'Digital Social Liability'


Every group seems to now have one of these so-called Digital Social Liabilities. These are the individuals who constantly write everything they are doing and broadcast it to the world. These individuals are the ones constantly checking in with their locations in 4square. These are the women and men who just don’t get that “people just don’t need that much information.”


Whether it is a lack of ‘things to do’ or ‘people to see’ - These people are the one’s who make it possible for that burglar to know when is that right moment to break into your home while you’re away. These are the people who you definitely do not want seeing or gaining access to those pictures that might have been taken that one night you and your boys decided to get wild in Vegas. These are the people that ‘Limited Profile’ was intended for.


Let me be VERY CLEAR. SOCIAL LIABILITIES ARE NOT BAD PEOPLE. In fact, from my experience, most Social Liabilities are the COMPLETE OPPOSITE. Most Social Liabilities in my social sphere would probably die for me. But who am I to tell them they need to change? Isn’t that just awkward for all parties? I accept them for who they are but just limit our social and digital interaction.


As for how I replied to my family member… I invited her out for lunch next week and told her she can ‘comment’ about my life to me one-on-one, personal, and in the flesh.


*Some people have noted that Drug Dealers are social liabilities… I disagree. Drug Dealers are not necessarily Social Liabilities – just because you hang out with them strictly for whatever it is you are scoring does not automatically qualify them as social liabilities. They are just that…Drug Dealers. Not that I would know, but I would imagine some Drug Dealers are probably perfectly fine in social environments.

No comments: